Saturday, May 18, 2013

Run or Dye trying!

Although I set TWO alarms on my phone, I still found myself worrying about getting up in time for this morning's event.  Therefore, I was up at 3:11, 3:46, 4:05 and finally I gave up trying to go back to sleep at 5 am.  That is of course when I really could have gone back to sleep.  But not this morning.  It was time to Run or Dye.  I was asked to help volunteer for this new event and so I recruited some others to join us.  The event chose Prevent Child Abuse America as one of the three organizations it would support through the 5k run.  Although it was listed as Run or Dye Chicago, it was actually about an hour away from my house (and that is without traffic) in Bridgeview.  My friend Angelica and I drove down together at 6am to help out as they needed.  Runners pass through starting gates and then run a 5k while onlookers throw colored powdered dye on them.  By the end of the race, every person looks like a living rainbow.  More than 1600 runners helped Prevent Child Abuse America, which in turn, helps CASA. The more abuse and neglect that can be prevented, the less children we have in need of a volunteer advocate and the less strain on the already overwhelmed Child Welfare System.
Angelica and me pre-race. She is such a trooper.

Post-race for these Run or Dyers. 

No comments: