Monday, February 1, 2010

Huffin and Puffin and Cryin














Sounds like a bad song, huh? Well, in reality is wasn't that bad. It was the 13th annual Step-up for Kids. We all climb the Aon building's 80 floors for Childrens Memorial Hospital.Did you know they are the only place in the state that performs certain high-risk surgeries (like heart transplants ect)for young ones? This year I did it in 25 minutes and felt pretty good at the top. The altitude change on the way definitely messes with you a bit. I now understand why Rocky trained up in the mountains. It was the journey along the way that really got me though. The stairwells are lined with pictures by the hospital's young patients which is so endearing. And then there are the other climbers. One father climbed with his 11 year old son on his back. His son, who has been a patient, has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk. Seeing them as they slowly made their way up each one of those 1643 steps was one of the more emotional things I have witnessed. It was so symbolic of the long and tough struggle for them. But, they would eventually get there. And for me, I took Carter Linz along with me as I did last year when he was only a few weeks old. Carter has made it uphill alot further than 80 floors!

1)Lining up for the stairwell
2)Some of the pictures
3)Me and Carter about to get steppin
4)A view from the top.

No comments: