Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Presenting...Mr. Blossomtime.





I was asked to go back to my roots, or some of my roots and judge the Mr. Blossomtime pageant. They didn't have Mr. Blossomtime back in my day, but since its beginning in 2006, it has been getting bigger every year. I'll be honest, I wasn't quite sure WHAT to expect. Any male pageant I have been aware of has either been a drag show or a joke. This was neither. 39 young men from a three county region were part of the pageant. And they had worked to be there. We're talking interview coaches and rehearsals. They were the captains of sports teams and student government leaders. They were our future mechanics and firefighters. They had interviews, swimwear and evening wear. Then the top eleven were all kept secluded as each was brought out and asked the same question. All were adorable and willing to take on the job in front of a standing room only auditorium of 1500 people! I'm not even close to kidding when I tell you it was BEYOND difficult selecting the King and court.

The queen and king will have a busy year ahead of them and it officially begins with the Blossomtime Floral Parade. 250 thousand people will line their chairs along the route a couple of days ahead of time to get a seat for the moving show. These "kids," are in for the rides of their lives and it began with their first press conference afterward. Congrats to everyone and thank you to Blossomtime for asking me to be part of the festivities!

1)Getting ready to conduct interviews
2)Opening number. They were outstanding!
3)From 39, to the top 11. Tough decisions.
4)2nd RU-Nicholas Beam, Mr. Nice Guy-Anthony Barney, 1st RU-Ruben Hanohano (love his last name) and Mr. Blossomtime 2010-Michael Semenic

1 comment:

Lisa Semenic said...

Amy, I am the proud mother of Mr. Blossomtime 2010, Micheal Semenic, I thank you for giving him the honor and opportunity to represent the community that we love. Last week they visited lawmakers at the state capital in Lansing, Saturday was the Coronation Ball, and today they are in Chicago at the Shiners hospital. We have a full agenda the next few weeks. You can find Micheal, myself, and the blossomtime org on facebook to keep up with photos and events