Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 3






Today we walked along Lake Michigan. I was introduced to Stewart from Highland Park. Jill said he was one of the people who made the biggest impact on her. Ten years ago she first met Stewart during the 3-Day Walk. He was walking with his wife, who he pushed for 60-miles in a wheelchair. She lost her fight with breast cancer shortly after, but he continues each year to walk for her and others who are yet to face down cancer.
I was told that much like triathlons, the walks get in your blood. And Now, I can understand why. The people you walk with and the people you are walking for...are worth every step. Let me tell you, there were some serious blister sisters! And in spite of rain and wind, we made it to Soldier Field early Sunday afternoon to be greeted again by the supporters we had seen at the pit stops and rest areas. Suddenly, those blisters and swollen feet? Were gone;) Here is to 2011and a cure! Thank you to my husband for manning the fort while I was MIA.
1)Jill, Maureen and me along the marina
2)Jill with Mr. August
3)Gotta love police in pink AND the Blues Brothers!
4 & 5) On the way in to Soldier Field

1 comment:

Tracy Rodgers said...

Dear Amy;
I just read the Mrs. America Voy and saw that you were 2nd runner up at Nationals. Congratulations girl!!!!!!!! You are an amazing woman and admired by so many. I'm proud to call you my friend. Have a wonderful rest of the year as Mrs. Illinois, America. You rock!
Love and friendship;
Tracy Rodgers