Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Can You Tell Me?

Today I was at the College of DuPage to help the North Surburban Law Enforcement Academy with their media training. I have been lucky enough to do the training since my days at Fox and before Ali was even born. And it was my first time inside the newly constructed Homeland Security Building. Wow! It is SPECTACULAR! This is where law enforecement classes and crime labs are housed. There are so many high-tech gadgets here I can't recall it all! The classrooms and labs are convertible to change as needed in terms of various types of evidence collection etc. Mock crime scenes can change lighting, there are sound effects and even fog can be used to help future officers get more practical tactical training. Cameras are able to capture how students work in certain situations with lasers to follow the action. I know, I am doing the facility such a huge disservice in its description. Much of the building comes from what is used by the FBI and DuPage is now THE example for other campuses. In a foyer, they have a 13 foot steel beam from one of the trade towers. It is compelling and rattling to see such an enormous piece of steel that has been peeled back, much like a banana, from the force of what happened on 911.

No comments: