Sunday, May 2, 2010

Getting there was half, no, the entire battle.


In the quest to go support my fabulous best friend and former roomie Michelle, I flew down to Tennessee this weekend. When I arrived, they had already shut down I-40.That is the main artery from Memphis to Jackson to Nashville.

Severe (and I mean SEVERE) flooding closed the highway and all the other side roads were now under rising waters. Bridges were out and a dam south of there had given way. So hundreds of us sat on the highway and along the one detour for-EVER. Seriously, for hours we were stranded. Wished I hadn't indulged in that venti iced coffee before hitting the road, but what's a girl to do? I needed some caffeine! With the long wait on the highway going nowhere, people were low on gas and the only exit open for the only detour was without power. No power for those critical gas stations. Crazy!

Slowly, I-40 opened to the bigger trucks and after speaking with the Tennessee Highway patrol (THP) they allowed soon-to-be grandparents to enter so they could go to their daughter who was just trying to have a baby and they allowed me and my super duper rental to head on through. THANK YOU!!!

By the end of the weekend, we would learn that was nothing compared to the devastation taking over my old home of Nashville.

No comments: